Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Wacky Wednesday "COPS" Addiction

One of our favorite TV shows is COPS. Okay more Kim, but Karst will watch it.  And lucky for us, it is on every night at 12:30 and 3 am.  And new episodes every Saturday.  

"COPS is filmed on location with the men and women of law enforcement. 
All suspects are innocent until proven guilty in a court of law."

It is like reality tv meets a documentary.  There is no narrating, no script, the only music is during the opening and closing.  The show has been on for 20 years.  And they are still going strong, what does that tell you.    I know some people don't like to watch it because it is "depressing", I guess I could see that but me it makes me feel like I'm not as bad off as some of them.

If you have been living in a hole and haven't watched an episode in the last 20 years here is a summary of  and acutal episode:

Cop: You got a husband here, okay. You got a boyfriend. You need to make a decision: It's either the husband, or the boyfriend, or neither. Okay?

Woman: It's gonna be both. You can have two people at once.

Cop: Then somebody's gonna end up going to jail. Do you understand that?

Woman: Yes, but see there's one thing: My husband loves me, and my boyfriend loves me, okay. But my husband loves me more than my boyfriend.

So here is how you know you have a good COPS episode.

1) The shirtless or the wife beater neighbor in the trailer park who is a little drunk and is going to be the witness as to what is going on.

2) The girlfriend who calls the cops because the boyfriend is getting violent and then cries because they take him to jail.

3) The hard core wanna be gangster who can't hold his pants up when he is in handcuffs and then starts crying when they tell him he is going to jail.

How can you watch the show and not laugh and laugh and say I am grateful for my non cops life?  But I am sure gateful there are cops out there who deal with the totally crazy out there!!

Oh, the things I have seen on that show, the lady that lost her dentures and called the cops to help her find them, the bum who got caught diving into the foutains twice to get the change, and my favorite the psychotic women who stopped taking her medication and answered the door naked with a shower cap on and then got in the shower while they were talking to her husband to find out what was going on, let's just say it wasn't the first time she was put in a straight jacket!!

Now, what would be really interesting, a book on the camera men's reaction to what they saw when they were on location.  I am sure that won't ever happen, but I will just keep enjoying the episodes while they last.  And loving every minute of it!! 


No comments: