Saturday, November 20, 2010

Inspirational Story

   I came across this story last week while I was preparing my Sunday School Lesson.  
I shared it with my class, and I have thought about it all week. 
 I have thought about how easily I find excuses to justify why I can't do things.
 I have a repentant and humble heart about enduring and accomplishing what is asked of me, 
realizing I can do more then I am now.  Enjoy.  

The journey that many of us in the latter days must make to reach a state of purification is symbolized in the story of the engraver of the Salt Lake Temple, John R. Moyle.

"John R. Moyle lived in Alpine, Utah, about 22 miles as the crow flies to the Salt Lake Temple, where he was the chief superintendent of masonry during its construction. To make certain he was always at work by 8 o’clock, Brother Moyle would start walking about 2 a.m. on Monday mornings. He would finish his work week at 5 p.m. on Friday and then start the walk home, arriving there shortly before midnight. Each week he would repeat that schedule for the entire time he served on the construction of the temple." (Jeffrey R. Holland, "As Doves to Our Windows," Ensign, May 2000.)

Likely, Brother Moyle would have traveled across the mountain from Alpine to present-day Draper, and on across the Salt Lake Valley to Temple Square.  It is a 20-minute winding journey by car from Alpine to Draper today, and another 30 minutes, mostly on the freeway, from Draper to Temple Square, although Brother Moyle's route was probably a little more direct.

Check out the mountains
Brother Moyle would have traversed weekly:

The view from the Alpine side.

Looking back from the Draper side.

"Once when he was home on the weekend, one of his cows bolted during milking and kicked Brother Moyle in the leg, shattering the bone just below the knee. With no better medical help than they had in such rural circumstances, his family and friends took a door off the hinges and strapped him onto that makeshift operating table. They then took the bucksaw they had been using to cut branches from a nearby tree and amputated his leg just a few inches below the knee. When against all medical likelihood the leg finally started to heal, Brother Moyle took a piece of wood and carved an artificial leg. First he walked in the house. Then he walked around the yard. Finally he ventured out about his property. When he felt he could stand the pain, he strapped on his leg, walked the 22 miles to the Salt Lake Temple, climbed the scaffolding, and with a chisel in his hand hammered out the declaration 'Holiness to the Lord.'" (ibid.)

1 comment:

Vanessa Shannon said...

Wow! That is a crazy story...very inspirational. Thanks for sharing it.